Saturday, October 29, 2011

Direct Connection

SECOND IN A THREE-PART SERIES: Today we are the fly on a wall, hearing what a director (possibly me) says when the doors are closed.

John "Director" Doe: (speaking to a rookie stage manager) When they walk in the door, I just want four things from an actor during an audition: Sincerity, Brevity, Timing, and 'It'.  Bribery would be nice but the precedent has not been set.  I'd take a 'free fries' from McDonald's Monopoly just on principle!

Right!  Anyway, Sincerity.  Feel it and live it so I feel it and live it.  Doesn't matter what period the script is from, and it doesn't matter what training and experience you've had. Show me your spin on the character or script.  Do you 'get it' or do you read it? Example: An exclamation point doesn't dictate raising your voice, it dictates raising the intensity of what's being said.  Plain and simple?  Be the person you want me to see on-stage and off.

Brevity.  So there.  Kidding!  I don't need to know why you're late; I don't need to know--or smell--what you had for lunch; I don't need to know where the picture window is in this scene.
  Please state your name, the show or play your monologues are from, and perform them!  It helps keep us on schedule and keeps me focused on performance not peripherals.  I'll find out a lot at callbacks or any cold readings--do you repeat bad behaviors, play well with others, do you listen and take direction, etc.

Timing: How long do you take to go from Personal Introduction to Performance mode?  How long do you take to 'engage' me? Surprise me?  Do you recognize those moments and use them or forge ahead with rote memorization?  Do you know a one-minute audition usually means one minute??

IT.  You ever read the Stephen King novel?  (She responds) Twilight?!  We'll talk later.
    IT is all the intangibles: do you maintain focus and energy the whole time you're onstage? Are you confident without being arrogant?  Performing material that challenges and suits you?  Even if our role doesn't suit you, by my reckoning, I'll keep you in mind for future opportunities if you've got 'It'.

(to casting assistant, poking her head in the door) Thank you.

(Next actor enters, performs an excerpt from Joseph Heller's "Something Happened," and leaves two minutes later.)

See?  Now that guy is a prime example.  He let the move from Introduction to Performance become a part of the tension.  He sat troubled, avoiding eye contact, then spoke.  He didn't rise until the emotion did.  He took moments to recall and re-see his observations.  Humbled himself at the end.

Sincerity and Timing? Very good.  Down to business with his greeting and title PLUS the cutting was sharp, had a nice arc to it.  Brevity very good.

Now let me ask you--Did he have 'it'??

No comments:

Post a Comment